Practice appointments policy
Person responsible for review of this protocol is: Dr J. Monteiro
Date of last review: 31st of May 2019
Date of next review: 31st of May 2020
We endeavour to manage our appointments system to avoid delays in appointment times and minimise loss of surgery time through cancellations and failed appointments.
Practice appointment system
- We manage our appointments so that treatment appointments are booked no more than 2 weeks ahead
- We try not to keep you waiting and to see you within 10 minutes of your appointment time. Where there is a delay, we will explain the reasons.
- We will remind you of the day and time of your appointment by text, email or phone (as preferred)
- We monitor our waiting times for (i) treatment and (ii) for booking appointments
- If we need to change or cancel an appointment, we will give you as much notice as possible, and explain the reasons
- We will let you know if there is a change in the dentist that you will see, and explain the reason for the change
- We will be courteous, friendly and professional always
- We will respond promptly to telephone calls and never ask you to ‘hold’ without first finding out why you have called
- You will receive full information about our services and our policy for collecting fees, including the methods of payment that we accept
- We will explain your treatment options and costs, answer your questions and allow you time to consider the best for you
- We will provide a treatment plan and estimate of costs for each new course of treatment and seek your full and specific consent before providing any treatment
- We will provide urgent advice and care during practice hours as soon as is practicable. Outside normal surgery hours if you need an urgent appointment we will recommend you to call NHS 111 and get advice with them. Our line also allows you to leave voice mails, which will be deal as first priority in the morning period.
- We will refer you for further professional advice and treatment when appropriate
- We will respond to correspondence within five days of receipt
- We encourage you to provide feedback; we will listen to your views and learn from them
- We make it easy for you to complain or raise a concern about any aspect of the care or service that you have received. Our procedure for dealing with complaints is available on our website, displayed at the reception area and all staff been trained to help you and give all information you need.
We ask that you
- Participate in your dental treatment, particularly any advice about prevention and diet that we have asked you to continue at home
- Arrive on time for your appointment
- Let us know if you are unable to keep your appointment; please give at least 24 hours’ notice. We may charge for missed appointments where we have not been notified. When you miss one appointment without previous notice we will charge you the following appointment accordingly with the information below:
- For appointments less than 30 minutes you will be charged £50 in advance.
- For appointments of 60 minutes you will be charged £60 in advance
You will have 24 hours to make the payment and keep the booking, otherwise we will cancel your appointment. We will accept payment by BACS, Phone or effective cash.
- Tell us if your contact details (address, telephone numbers, email) change so that we can keep our records up to date and ensure that we are able to contact you
- Treat our staff courteously; they will do their best to help meet your needs